viernes, 6 de agosto de 2010

Four weeks in and the adventure continues

It has been nearly a month since I started and I have not seen time pass. I am feeling more and more at home here. I have become accustomed to cold showers, intense heat, ongoing digestive concerns, mosquitos and torrential rains. But I am still in amazement and wonder at the people here.

There is always noise here. Aside from the perpetual hum of the jungle, there is always music in the air, people shouting, arguing, loving, laughing. As though a principal mode of survival here is joy.

The political entaglements around the Esartes project are becoming more and more difficult to avoid and more clear as time passes. It is hard, in a country where corruption and politics are nearly synonomous, where the obfuscations of complicated and inefficacious bureaucracy are the norm, where ressources are so scarce to get anythiong done it seems. But the will of people to find ways to make change seems  without limits. And so, I believe more and more in the validity and strength of this project.

Tatiana and I discussed building a tent and attempting to stage performances outdoors, exactly as was done in 1953 in Stratford. The idea seems both romantic and tremendously realistic. As complications continue to arise with regards to upcoming productions, the desire to simplify everything is very strong.

Meanwhile, the students continue to show up, some every single day, hoping to learn more, to do  more, to improve their lives and the circumstances of their families and communities. We have broached Shakespeare and will begin work on the first scene from Romeo and Juliet once we get back from the national holiday, on Monday. I have no doubts that they are up to the challenge.

Until then, more sunshine, a trip to the beach...and probably more rain!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario