I almost lost my Romeo yesterday when Manuel announced he wasn't sure he could still play the part because of exams. I told him that it was really up to him, but that we would work through the day as scheduled, then decide. We did and it was worth it. I worked with just him and Estella, the girl playing Julieta for an hour. At the end, we shared our work with the rest of the group and everyone was very impressed. I felt like I was working with professional actors. Young and inexperienced as they may be, their focus and dedication to the work is nothing short of astounding.
The other day a dance teacher came to work with us on the ball and she said the same thing. She found their work ethic unsurpassable, saying this group was better to work with than any group of dancers she had ever taught. Their devotion, heart and courage is infectious. Days where it is blisteringly hot and everyone is tired, they are still here, working, exploring, daring. It is very inspiring.
In the end, Manuel agreed to stick with it. He has the scene memorised already and I am entirely confident that he can do it. Their work yesterday was very impressive. He is much younger than her, and there is a considerable amount of nervosity and tension. But I believe all of this will serve us. I see Estella going deeper and deeper into her character and it is beautiful to observe.
I told them yesterday that the work of an actor is based on an appreciation and an understanding of "the moment". And in that moment, when they are connected and honnest, they can, if only for that moment, be completely fearless. Therein is the great power of theater and watching these young people explore that is wonderful.
The EsArtes program is well positioned to become the epicenter of the new theater movement in El Salvador, and these students are well placed to be the first national company. There is a will, there will be a way.
Suscribirse a:
Enviar comentarios (Atom)

No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario